March 13, 2012

Tonsils No More

Ethan's surgery went well today and he is recovering. So far he has had 5 popsicles, a push-up, a cup of chocolate ice cream, a smoothie, and blue Jell-o. He is milking the "cold stuff" for all its worth!
When we took him in this morning I could tell he was a little nervous. As we pulled into the parking lot he asked, "are you sure I will be fine Dad?" It was pretty sweet and a little heart breaking. We said a little prayer together before we got out of the car and reminded him of the priesthood blessing he received last night from his Dad and Grandpa, and then he said he felt a little better.

By the time we went in he was back to normal and charmed all of the nurses. Seriously, how could he not with those skinny little legs sticking out of the purple hospital gown! When the first nurse introduced herself she said her name and explained that she would be taking care of him today, he looked at her and with big eyes said so sincerely, "oh thank you," she was smitten after that. He wanted to ask questions about everything, at one point he asked the nurse how much blood he had.
When they wheeled him back to the OR he was sitting straight up on the bed (they told him it was a rocket ship) looking all around with curious eyes. That was the hardest part for me, I didn't like it one bit. But the doctor came out soon and let us know everything went well.
The hardest part is going to be keeping him down. Just hours after surgery he was running around. Tonight his voice is more strained because he is so swollen, so we are trying to keep him doing quiet activities...much easier said than done with Ethan. The doctor told him after his surgery he will have more energy and be able to run faster! Really I don't know how that is possible, but we will soon see.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

What a sweet little boy. Hope his recovery goes well!

Jeff and Tammy Peterson said...

Glad things went well. Tell him to watch for the mailman! Grammy loves EE!

Lucy said...

I hope you’re hanging in there! I’m sure by now he’s back to sprinting everywhere.

Laura said...

What a trooper. It is so hard to keep them down after the surgery. Two of my boys had their tonsils out and that was the hardest part. And I empathize, it just hurts to have to stay out and wait while the surgery is going on. You just want to hold them and be there the whole time.