April 4, 2009

It's My Party...and I'll cry if I want to!

So last night we decided to celebrate Ethan's birthday...9 days late due to the hospital visit last week. I had so much fun making his cake(s) and decorating. My mom always did such a good job making our birthdays so special and so fun, and I was so excited to do the same for Ethan.

Ethan's personal cake (for my mom)!

The birthday table ready for the party!

I made a lot of cake! I was expecting more than the 2 people that came, so we are still enjoying lots of cake and leftover Hawaiian haystacks!

Opening Presents!

Ethan with his fun new toys.

His legs are still a little too short to ride his train. I thought it was so funny how he was pushing it along in a straddle!

When I was in Romania I was invited to 2 first birthday parties. One tradition that they did was present the 1 year old with a tray of objects. Whatever the child picked represented their future life. I thought it was a fun tradition to adopt into our family...so we tried it out with Ethan.

The dollar = wealth. The heart = a life of love. The prescription bottle = good health. The book = great intellect. The bling broach = fame. The brush = good looks.

So what do you think Ethan would pick from this tray?

This video shows it!

Then we moved onto the cake! I envisioned him being so excited and sticking his face into the cake with glee! My parents were on the speaker phone and we all sang to him. (Apparently he was a little tired it was past his bedtime, he also had received his immunizations earlier that afternoon, and he's just been a little grumpier than usual since the hospital stay...not a good combo for a first birthday cake).

The look he is giving us in this video cracks me up! I think he has been able to make this face from the day he was born.

Poor kid was a little overwhelmed by the whole experience of flaming frosted sugary goodness.

We did give him the cake again today, he liked it better. Not a lot of glee, but at least a cute messy face without tears.

Hopefully we'll do number 2 better next year!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Sounds like you had fun even if Ethan was a little sad. He is so cute. I can't believe he's one. I like your Romanian tradition. I'll be watching for his fame!

Placido Domingo said...

Sounds like we should all get ready for a famous Ethan. What a cool tradition.

If I may offer some advice, as a famous latino tenor, it is to dream the impossible dream.

Lucy said...

I love moms that make special cakes. I should take a class so that my boys have that memory of their mother but I fear it's not meant to be so!

Ethan is so cute with his scowls. I love the Romanian tradition too. Such a great idea. Makes me wish I could turn back time and do something that cool for my own kids. He didn't even hesitate!

Oh...and the silver lining...because you had to wait so long to celebrate his birthday, you didn't have to worry about your order from Oriental Trading company not arriving in time! Small price to pay...right?:)