I have been thinking about that quote now almost daily for the last few weeks. It describes my little Ethan. When I get to the end of my patience rope with him I need to remember who he truly is, and that is a son of God.
"Never forget that these little ones are the sons and daughters of God and that
yours is a custodial relationship to them, that He was a parent before you were
parents and that He has not relinquished His parental rights or interest in
these His little ones.... Rear your children in love, in the nurture and
admonition of the Lord. Take care of your little ones. Welcome them into your
homes, and nurture and love them with all of your hearts." Gordon B.
Hinckley
Between the funny and crazy antics of the 3 year old Ethan, I do see glimpses of the special spirit inside his little body. He loves to learn about Jesus and he truly loves the Savior. A few days ago while we were driving he said, "I hope Jesus comes again, I love Him." Earlier in the month while he was saying a family prayer unassisted he said, "help us to read the scriptures everyday," you better believe that gave me a little kickstart to be a more diligent scripture reader. I see his kind heart when he insists on holding the doors open for people in public places, when he helps his brother, or when he prays for people that need help.
I'm absolutely amazed at what a 3 year old can learn. He has only been attending Primary and his Sunbeam class for 4 weeks now, but he can come home and tell me all about the lessons. Just randomly he's thrown out phrases to me like, "agency is a gift from God," and "every choice has a consequence." He has also learned new songs.
Last week the primary president asked me to come be a helper in his class Sunday (they have 12 kids). I was a little nervous that she called me because my child was the trouble maker. Besides having to answer every question, I thought he was doing pretty good. Then the drinking fountain break came. Each child gets a turn to be the line leader as we walk to the fountain. It about killed him that it wasn't his turn, the teacher kept having to stop the line on the walk there to remind Ethan to come get back in line. After we got drinks, we made it about half-way back to the classroom and Ethan couldn't take it anymore...he just started running, so the other 11 three year olds followed right behind. It was a few moments of chaos, the teacher told me to try to catch them because apparently Ethan does this every week and usually misses the classroom on the way back! Then I knew why I was asked to be the helper.
Last week his teacher told me that he was "darling." I asked Ethan later if he knew what that meant and he said, "it means I'm cute." Living with Ethan is never boring! I'm very grateful that amidst all the 3 year old antics I am constantly reminded of what a special person he really is.


2 comments:
We miss E$$. He is hilarious.
That is hilarious as a mother, aunt and primary president! I'm sure we've got some kids who are worse behaved than him so I wouldn't worry too much! I'm so glad he's picked up on the theme for the month. I'm not sure if many of our kids have.
Post a Comment