August 23, 2009

Going Once, Going Twice...

So I don't know how it happened but we managed to spend an ENTIRE Saturday at the Main Auction in Boise!

There really are no words to describe the auction...it is a garage sale on steroids! People take their junk and other people come to buy and take home and add to their own junk. Weston and my Dad took a few items to sell this week.

Everything is in cages so you can see everything, but then you have to wait for the auctioneer to finally get to the item you want to bid on. There is everything from power tools, to furniture, to toys, to lumber, to cars, to antiques to JUNK!
There is something really exciting about winning an auction even if it something you don't really want! The first item I bid on was a train set that was brand new in the original package - I was so excited and I couldn't really understand the auction language and I started the bid way higher than I intended too (luckily someone else outbid me). After getting outbid on everything I had my eye on I walked down to another cage just in time to see the HORSE. I knew Ethan would love it...after a fierce battle between a man that wanted it for his grandson I won the horse for $7. It has wheels, plays music and the wheels fold up and it becomes a rocking horse. Ethan absolutely LOVES it! He rode it to the car after the auction and it had to ride next to him in the car or he would sob. Now I have to figure out how to get the thing home on the airplane. I think my $7 deal is not going to be so great.

I was standing with Erica when the tub full of games came up...It was going for $3 so I quickly handed Erica my number so she could bid. 4 bucks for all of these games..."Quip It" was still in the plastic wrap. What a bargain!

So Weston wanted to bid on this metal sign because it is the seal where my Dad works. It came with an entire box of junk all for $1.

When we looked through the junk we discovered there was an entire collection of frogs! It was hilarious - there were over 100 frogs...ceramic, plush, plastic and even a little mug with a frog looking out on the bottom - even a few inappropriate frogs. Oh my.

My cousin Mark waited all day for this real slot machine from the Aladdin casino in Vegas.

The auction crew with our treasures!

2 comments:

Lucy said...

That is hilarious! I don't even enjoy going to garage sales. But that horse for Ethan is a great find. The frogs....not so much:)

Kelly said...

Love the horse. Love the frogs. Would totally have gone with you!!