February 28, 2013

The Runaway Potty Train

So last week Caden had a little diaper situation (that I should feel guilty as his mom to admit), he wore a dirty diaper a little too long and caused a little pain for the young lad.  I explained to him that if he starts using the potty more regularly this wouldn't happen anymore.
Well, that was all the motivation he needed.  The next day he put on a Pull-Up, he gave me a little demonstration on how they worked and said, "see, easy on, easy off" and then proceeded to potty train himself.  We've now had 3 days accident free.  Although we haven't had any accidents we have had some "mishaps."  Poor kid has fallen in the toilet twice now!
When we worked on potty training Ethan it was so different, definitely parent directed.  This time it is all Caden directed...meaning that sometimes I don't even know he has used the potty...meaning that while I am nursing a baby he comes running into the room naked and informs me that he needs to wash his finger that touched poop in the potty...meaning that using the toilet is such a new fun game that it takes 15 minutes to read one story on account of 3 potty breaks...meaning that I'm feeling exhausted chasing him around the house all day to make sure his little buns are properly covered.
So yes I am thrilled my 2 year old just potty trained himself, but will be even more thrilled when he learns a little bathroom ettiquette.  For now I will just enjoy the loud exclamations of, "I poop-ed (2 syllables) and pee-ed (also 2 syllables) on the potty...and try not to go off the rails of this crazy train!

And just for fun, a few potty trained pirates for your enjoyment.  These phone pictures taken at Target kind of capture perfectly the constant imaginings of these little boys of mine these days!  



Caden saying..."Arrrrgh matey."  

2 comments:

Jeff and Tammy Peterson said...

Aaaarrrrgh!!! Grammy misses her pirates!

Ringo and Company said...

That is pretty amazing.