January 15, 2009

Grateful!

The events of the past 2 days have made me feel really grateful for a few things I defnitely have taken for granted.
I am so grateful for good health. I'm grateful that Ethan has been such a healthy baby!
On Tuesday morning he had to have a little surgery to fix 2 clogged tear ducts. The worst part of the whole procedure was when the nurse came to take him to the OR and we had to go to the lobby. He was looking at us over the nurse's shoulder with a confused look, like "hey guys...where are you going?" It made me so sad.
The procedure took longer than the doctor expected because both of his eyes were clogged pretty bad, so I was watching the clock full of anxiety - just sure that the doctor had found something more, or sure that something had gone wrong. When we finally got to go see him in the recovery room he was hysterical. He is a really easy baby and I had never seen him cry like that. His right eye was pretty much swollen shut and bruised. I'm sure he was scared, in pain, and still having the effects of the anesthesia. It took him a little while at home before he finally stopped crying. Then after a little food and a good nap he seemed to be back to normal...just a little bruised and swollen around his eye.
Anyway, the whole experience just made me so grateful for his overall great health. I can't imagine the stress that parents go though who have sick children that undergo several surgeries and treatments. I'm also grateful for all of our family members and friends who have been praying for him. I'm also grateful that Ethan has a fantastic Dad that is willing to miss a few classes to be there for him (and mostly for his mom)!

These are 2 pictures before the surgery...trying to keep a hungry Ethan contained for 45 mins. while we waited for the doctor to come.


This was after the surgery, after he had taken a nap.

The second blessing I am so grateful for that I often take for granted is a safe home to live in with heat, and at least one car that is reliable and has 4-wheel drive in the snow.

Today with the windchill the temperature has been as low as -20 degrees. That's a little too cold for me. This afternoon around our windows, base boards and doors I have found frost inside the house and ice that will not melt. It is crazy! I can't imagine not having a house or a heater right now. I'm so thankful to be wearing my fuzzy socks and sweater and staying where it is warm today.

Where the wood looks lighter colored is actually frost on our kitchen window.

Everyday there are so many things to be thankful for!

3 comments:

Molly Jae said...

I'm so glad Ethan's surgery went well. It is so scary to have these littles ones on the operating table. If you get too cold, just come visit me. I'm serious.

Kelly said...

That is cold! Way too cold. Bummer. I'm glad you're inside too. I'm glad Ethan is back to normal. I agree with you on not knowing how parents handle truly sick kids. Scary and saddening.

Placido Domingo said...

I'm glad Ethan is doing well.