January 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Dear Grandpa!

We think of you from far away,
on this your very special day.
We would like to be there for the cake,
but the journey we cannot make...
so we send this birthday post,
for Grandpa Turpin whom we love the most!

Grandpa - since you are turning 73 today I thought I would just quickly list 73 memories I have of you! But then I realized that would take you a really long time to read, and Dan would probably miss you too much if you were in on the computer that long. So I decided to add the digits of 7+3...and write down 10 memories I have of you!

1. I remember when I was younger riding in the car with you and hearing you sing along to the old cowboy crooners. I always thought you sounded way better than Willie Nelson. I also remember doing a little harmonica duet with you at the annual Christmas Party.

2. I remember many fun boating trips. Some fun trips to Flaming Gorge, and a few summers ago to Lake Powell. You are the best boat captain of Notayot and look so official now that you are part of the Coast Guard.

3. I remember watching excitedly for the UPS truck to deliver birthday and Christmas presents from you. The presents were always so fun because you wrote creative little riddles that rhymed to give us clues on what was inside the packages.

4. I remember being in on the secret magic trick that you used to do for Weston and James. You would sit on your black leather chair in the family room and somehow transport little objects to other areas of the house with your magical powers (or me as an assistant).

5. I remember how you are constantly helping people. I don't think I could remember all of the times you have been there for us. We used your home on way too many occasions for a recovery room, wedding headquarters, and a hotel. You helped Clark & I move from Provo to West Jordan using your trailer and truck. You've helped fix my car, stored my boxes, driven us to the airport more times than I can count, and fed us dinner. It has always meant a lot to me that you make special efforts to support us by attending events that are important to us.


6. I remember your beautiful yards and garden every year. I like how you keep a salt shaker in the shed for when you find a good ripe tomatoe. I loved living close by the last couple of years and always being sent home with yummy fresh produce.

7. I remember being a really little girl and having terrible leg aches. I remember sitting on your lap in your big chair and having my legs rubbed and feeling so good.

8. I remember you volunteering to hold Ethan during Weston and Erica's wedding open house so that I could run around and talk to everyone. I remember you gently walking around the yard for several minutes until he fell fast asleep in your arms.

9. I remember a few years ago when I asked you to perform your rendition of "Sam McGee" for my 5th grade class. You always do every job right and make things memorable. I remember the hours you spent altering the shopping cart with your welding skills to make a sled fit for a classroom. I remember laughing when you referred to the shopping cart as the "biggest waste of time" (or something like that). I know the 5th graders loved seeing you come in dressed in your full snowmobiling suit!

10. I remember many fun 4th of July Pig Pickins! I remember what a privilege it was for me and Missy to get to spend the night on the 3rd of July to help the next morning with the decorations and set-up. I also remember seeing the pig for the first time before it had been cleaned up and made presentable and how I didn't want to eat any that year.

These are just a few of my many memories. All of my memories of you are filled with love, kindness and fun! I am so grateful to have you as a grandpa!
We sure love you! We hope you have a wonderful day!
Happy Birthday!

No comments: