January 28, 2009

Happy Trees!

There is a street here in Des Moines that is my favorite to drive down. It is lined with big trees and big, older houses that have interesting architecture. It was beautiful in the summer, and especially in the fall. Clark drives down this street daily on his way to school.


A couple of weeks ago someone made smiley faces out of snow balls on 23 of the trees that span a 3 block distance. It has been so cold none of the smiles have melted. It makes my day everytime I drive by, and I always wish I had my camera.


Today the sun is really shining and when I drove by I realized part of the faces are starting to melt. When I met Clark at the school for lunch I told him I was sad the smiling trees were melting, he had no idea what I was talking about - I seriously don't know how he hasn't noticed for the past 3 weeks of his daily commute. So we got in the car and went on a little field trip to see, as the late Bob Ross would say, "the happy little trees."


So thank you to the snowball tree artist whoever you are for brightening my cold winter days.





On an additional note, the economy must be really bad in Iowa. Last night I went to the movie with 2 of my friends, on Tues. they give free popcorn if you bring your own container. We learned though that the price for the popcorn is that they turn the heat off in the theater. It was so cold by the end of the movie we could see our breath, my glasses had fogged up, and we couldn't feel our toes. We were wrapped up in scarves, coats, and even blankets that Margaret had in her car! It was hilarious! Remind me again why we didn't we go to the school in Miami?

2 comments:

C.J. said...

The funny part to me is that you counted all 23 trees!

Kelly said...

Love the trees and I agree with Clark. You should have stayed in Utah!