May 18, 2011

Caden's First Birthday Party

We celebrated Caden's birthday a little early this year so my mom could be around for the festivities! It was also the last hurrah we could have with all of our medical student friends before everyone takes off. It was such a fun night.

His party had a fish theme. I attempted to make him a darling little under the sea individual cake...and this is what happened:





The cake totally disintegrated!


Fortunately, my mom helped me make some really cute fish cupcakes, so Caden got to blow out his candle on one of those.



When I was in Romania I was invited to 2 first birthday parties. One tradition that they did was present the 1 year old with a tray of objects. Whatever the child picked represented their future life. I thought it was a fun tradition to adopt into our family...so Caden got to pick his fate!


The heart = a life of love. The medicine = health. The medal = a future athlete. The bling broach = fame. The dollar = wealth. The comb = good looks. The book = great intellect.


What do you think Caden chose?



About a year ago when my Dad came to visit he brought Ethan a fish pinata on the airplane all the way from Boise. It took several months of convincing, but Ethan finally decided we could break his pinata.



Running for the candy.



Even Caden knew what to do!



A few treats landed on Ethan's head, but he was so busy picking candy off the ground he didn't even notice.


We also had a fish pond for the kids. We covered our deck with blue tablecloths and they got to cast a fishing pole over the deck and try their luck. They all caught some fun toys.



Clark looks more excited than Ethan for the watering can Ethan caught.


Such a fun night to celebrate our fun one year old!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

How funny. We had a fish themed birthday party for Matt's first. Yours looks way more fun. I made a fish cake for Matt that was totally lopsided. I'll have to show you the pics sometime. The cupcakes look way better!!