December 21, 2012

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Last week I was trying to think of a fun treat to take to some of our neighbors here in the retirement community, so we could get to know them better.  Then I had the thought that if we really wanted to get to know them better we would invite them over for a little Christmas get together.
Although I love to host parties, this one was out of my comfort zone simply because besides waving and saying hello we really don't know our neighbors...but on Monday we made invites and Ethan delivered them!

After the invites were out I panicked about what to serve...we knew for sure that at least 3 of our invited guests have had heart attacks recently, and one lady answered the door hooked up to her oxygen tank!
On Wednesday we baked and cleaned, it was no small feat with 3 little boys "helping."  But we somehow managed...literally putting the vacuum away as the first guests knocked on the door.  After we got everything set up I worried no one would come, especially after two people called that night and said they couldn't make it due to the cold weather or sickness.  The boys were so excited for the party, and lucky for us 6 people came!  They were so nice and fun to get to know a little better!
I'm not sure if their impression of us (the only people with crazy kids in the hood) changed at all.  Ethan and Caden are quite the entertainers.  At one point of the night both boys came up in their Halloween costumes.  Ethan wore his new swim goggles for a portion of the evening.  One of the men started talking about how we needed snow so the boys could have a snowball fight.  Ethan snuck downstairs, filled his hard hat with little plastic balls, ran back up and launched them at the man and yelled "snowball fight!"  At one point Caden stood by the Christmas tree and started belting out "Baby You're a Firework" at the top of his lungs.  And in the middle of the evening Ethan stood in front of everyone and said, "now its time to dance..."  everyone looked at me with scared expressions, and I quickly reassured them we weren't really planning on a dance component to the evening.
And I wonder why the women kept saying, "wow, you have your hands full."

This little guy did make a good impression!  He was sweet and alert and all of the grandmas wanted to hold him!
All in all I would say the night was a success!  I'm thinking it may be a new tradition while we are living here!

2 comments:

Jeff and Tammy Peterson said...

I miss those cute entertaining handfuls!!!

Kelly said...

Wow, you are brave! I would never do that, I would be totally nervous to do that. I'd be nervous to through a party for people that I know like me! Good for you though for extending the hand of friendship. I bet by the time you guys leave there, your neighbors will really miss you!