August 8, 2013

Couch Diaries

I decided it's time to update my blog from the couch.  I've pretty much been inseparable from this couch for the last week and a half recovering from surgery.  I had an umbilical hernia repaired (the baby's nose as Ethan called it is gone), which went splendidly!  I also had an incisional hernia repaired that had flared up after scarring ripped from my last c-section...this one wasn't quite so routine...I guess 5 abdominal surgeries in the past 8 years are just too many.

The best part about this picture is that this was before my surgery...the bloody i.v. and the shot they had to give me in my stomach was a little too much and I got sick before we even started.  The surgery took a lot longer than expected because of the complications, and then my recovery took a lot longer than expected because I couldn't wake up.  Maybe I was just trying to catch up on the past 8 months since Quinn was born, or maybe it was the "aggressive" treatment I was getting to fight nausea, but I could only wake up for a couple minutes at a time.  Finally they told Clark that they needed my bed and he needed to get me dressed.  Now that was funny.  Apparently I fell asleep with my arms in the air half through my sleeves like a vulture...they had me take a few steps, the world was spinning, the nurse was laughing at me, finally they just put me in a wheel chair and sent me home.  The rest of that day is a blur.  

Today I'm feeling much better, but the pain has been more than expected and it's hard to be down, I'm not used to being such a homebody.  The timing has also been a little hard, I'm still nursing Quinn and he WILL not take a bottle, even 36 hours of no momma he wouldn't given!  He's a stubborn one that Quinny!  But thanks to my angel mother and Clark we are all surviving!  My mom is running the show like a pro!

The boys have been doing pretty well too considering everything.  Quinn went from being a baby to a toddler in one week!  He wants to be standing all of the time.  He's climbing up stairs and walking as he pushes the rocking horse along the floor.  Apparently mom being out of commission drives a baby to walk!  It is so hard not to pick him up, when he needs love he crawls to me on the couch, pulls himself up and just looks at me until my mom or Ethan come lift him onto the couch for a snuggle.  It breaks my heart. 

He bounces on this horse like a professional cowboy!

Just having a little snack.

Trying to crawl off the couch when he was done with me.

All 3 of my boys playing the Smurf dance game!
Caden needed a turn on the sick couch one night when he needed a little extra TLC.

 Last Saturday Clark was out of town so my mom took the boys out of the house in the afternoon so I could nap.  My phone went off with a tornado warning, but when I peeked outside it was sunny, I was drugged up so I just went back to sleep.  A little while later I woke up and it was black outside.  Right when the huge rain/hail storm/tornado touched down in Greeley my mom and the boys got home.  The nice employee at Panda Express told them about the tornado.  It was quite the excitement, and I felt a little sheepish for not sharing the warning with my beloved family.

The tornado and watching the Bachelorette give out her final rose have been my excitement of the past week!  Luckily, I knew the surgery was coming and got my fill of summer in July.

Being on the couch has made me really appreciate the things I take for granted everyday, you know those things that kind of seem like a burden in the moment...lifting my kids, hauling 3 boys and all of their gear places, cleaning, cooking...hoping to be back to being my normal mom self soon!  

3 comments:

Lucy said...

I have felt the impossibility of it all when I am sick (like really sick and unable to get out of bed) so I am feeling really bad for you and your days and days of decommission. The nursing alone would be so hard! I'm glad your mom is there and that Karen is coming and that your poor abdomen heals and needs no more trauma. I've seen some funny things when people come out of anesthesia. I am smiling picturing your vulture moves:)

Bryce and Jessica said...

I love your story about the hospital pushing you out because they needed your bed! I also grimace just thinking about anesthesia and the recovery from surgery. I remember when you picked me up from the hospital after one of my surgeries, and I don't even think I could talk to you because I was so nausea and sick! I wish we lived closer so I could take those sweet boys for a day of fun with Beckett!

Kelly said...

Ugh, I'm so sorry. I wish I could come lift your baby for you. I hope everything heals well and that this can be the last surgery for a while. I can't believe how much Quinn is moving. Too bad he's not on Abby's schedule, she'd probably be a little easier for you to take care of! Hang in there!