October 18, 2008

Weekend Adventure

Friday after school we jumped in the car and headed to Omaha to go to the temple. The drive is a little less than 2 hours. We were trying to make it to the 7:30 session (the last session of the day). We got out of Des Moines a little later than planned. Luckily my Nascar gene kicked in! I still don't know how we made it.

Clark's friend Scott from Durango and his wife Danielle live in Omaha. Scott is going to school there. They offered to watch Ethan for us so we could go. It was my first time leaving him with anyone but family. Luckily, we were in such a hurry I didn't have time to worry or be sad about leaving him.

We barely made it on time to the temple. It was an awesome experience. The temple is located right next to the Winter Quarter's visitor's center and cemetery. The temple stands as a tribute to all of the pioneers who gave everything to cross the plains. It is such a neat place in church history. The temple is gorgeous especially the stained glass windows. We enjoyed the wonderful peace that comes only from being in the temple.

It was so nice of Scott and Danielle to watch Ethan for us. We loved being able to visit with them after the temple before heading home. We got home at 2:30 a.m., but it was worth it.

Saturday morning a few friends of mine from the school came over. We went to Howell's Pumpkin Patch. It was in Cumming, Iowa...about 20 miles out of town. I am amazed at how quickly we can leave Des Moines and be in rural Iowa. The Pumpkin Patch is also a nursery, Christmas Tree farm, store, corn maze, and petting zoo. It will be a fun place to bring Ethan again in a couple of years. We rode the tractor hay ride through the beautiful gardens to the pumpkin patch. I hunted around and found the brightest little pumpkin. I just had to have it for a centerpiece for my table. The day was beautiful. It was quite a fall festivity!

The whole crew on the tractor ride.


My little pumpkin, the pick of the patch!


Keeping the ears warm and taking a nap!


Never in my life have I seen more of these stick your head through photo ops than here in Iowa! I really should have passed this one up. Oh dear.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

That is an awesome picture. If that doesn't scream Iowa, I don't know what would.