October 1, 2008

Yee-Haw!

Last Saturday we went to the Living History Farms with some friends. Ethan was mad at the beginning because he had to wake up earlier than he wanted, and he was probably ticked that his hat was just a little too big!


The first thing we saw was the 1875 town of Walnut Hill. There were several restored buildings and houses we toured. The highlight was definitely the melodrama (2 mins. of plot stretched into 45 mins. of fabulous acting). Clark is thinking of getting a job there next summer...mua ha ha.

Then we road a tractor under the freeway to the farms. Despite the dust in the eyes, and dirt in the teeth...the tractor ride was pretty fun. The rest was a walking tour through the farms. They have volunteers that work in the town and the farm doing crafts and farming with old equipment to show us what is was really like back in the day.
We saw a Native American farm...the Ioway tribe.

Then a farm from the 1850's.

Then a farm from the 1900's.

Then we went to the Visitor's Center to learn about Iowa's corn contribution to the world. I'm shocked at how much is made from corn. I also received a stamped certified PCI liscence! The volunteer even sang a random little tune (I think it was a mix of Pomp and Circumstance and the bridal march) as she presented it to me. PCI stands for Poop Cycle Investigator...I had to identify the animals that matched the poop samples, and answer some tough questions about why farmers use manure. I've never been prouder, a city slicker like me with a PCI badge!

All in all it was actually a really fun day!

Please come visit us...we will take you to the
Living History Farms!

No comments: