March 24, 2009

An E.R. Themed Birthday Party

Some kids get to go to Chuck E. Cheese on their birthday, some kids get a big party with a lot of presents...Ethan spent his first birthday in the Emergency Room.
He has been so sick, he can't keep anything down so worried about dehydration we took him to the E.R. We spent about 5 hours there. They hooked him up to an IV and filled him full of fluids. The most traumatizing part for Ethan (and for his mom) was when the nurses drew blood and then couldn't find a vein for the IV and had to poke his feet twice. He was hysterical! Kicking, screaming, weeping, wailing, it took all of my strength not to scream at them to leave my poor child alone. They ended up having to call the Life Flight team to come down to give him his IV.
I wish I could say that he feels better, but as soon as we pulled into the driveway on our way home he got so sick again! I'm worried about our big one year old!
He did get to watch Baby Einstein, and the nurse gave him some stickers before we came home, but all in all I would rather not have another E.R. themed birthday party!

He was not amused by the peach colored gown.

If looks could kill...he was not even willing to attempt to smile for anyone!

Last night we had a terrible storm, one that you feel like the roof is going to blow off your house at any second - I was worried about Ethan, our basement flooding, and our house being struck by lightning, and I couldn't sleep...so what else to do but decorate the house for the sick little boy's birthday!

(I wanted to put up pictures of how Ethan has grown every month this past year...I've included all of the pictures that I hung up below!)

But poor little Bubba couldn't even make it through opening one package from Grammy Tammy! He got through one present and then just laid on the floor.

Here are the pictures I hung on the wall:
Look How I've Grown

1 Day Old

1 Week Old

1 Month

2 Months

3 Months

4 Months

5 Months

6 Months

7 Months

8 Months

9 Months

10 Months

11 Months

Oh how I love this little boy! Being in the hospital today with all of the hospital smells totally took me back to this day last year when Ethan was born. Since it was a planned C-Section, we knew exactly when he would be coming. I remember the night before he was born, it felt so surreal to know that we would have a son joining us the next morning. I was scared, nervous, but SO excited to see and meet our baby!

I loved him from the first minute I got to hold him in my arms.

He was about 9 pounds and had fat little cheeks, the nurses were shocked and nicknamed him Bubba. I thought he was the cutest little baby I had ever seen. I was so impressed that he could use his toes to pull his hospital bracelets and alarm off of his ankles. I loved that the second night in the hospital, he ate and fell asleep - so we sent him to the nursery so we could get a little sleep. The nurse came back after 15 mins. and said, "you need to feed this baby, he won't stop crying." She handed Ethan to me and he instantly stopped crying, snuggled into me and fell right back asleep, it was so sweet! I think that's the moment I felt like I really was a mom.

Even though there have been overwhelming days this past year (like the first day it was just Ethan and I at home after my mom left and Clark went back to school...I was still pretty sore and Clark came home and found this...he was laughing so hard he had to take a picture of my superior mothering skills).

(the trash can just seemed so far away)

And there have been days when Ethan's little red hair comes out in his determined little personality...

But I can't think of anything better than being a mom to my sweet little boy. Everyday he has brought more joy into my life than I even knew existed. He has been the happiest, sweetest little guy. I laugh that everynight when I check on him while he is sleeping I have to go get Clark to come look because "he seriously looks so cute right now." I just can't get enough. I love his curiosity, determination, friendliness, giggle and cheesy grins!

Before he was born I was really worried about being a stay-at-home mom. "What could I possibly fill my time with?!" Now I laugh that I even had that concern. Being with Ethan everyday is the best and honestly I can't think of anything I would rather be doing. This last year has flown by too fast!

Everynight I thank my Heavenly Father for allowing me the blessing to have Ethan in our home! I love my little one year old!

Happy Birthday Ethan!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Poor little guy. We hate making trips to the ER. Hope he gets feeling better soon so he can enjoy his birthday.

LauriAnn said...

Oh Ethan! Poor little guy. That sounds like an absolutely terrible way to spend a birthday! I love your post. I miss those little baby days when they are so innocent and don't sass you! One is such a great time.

Kelly said...

What a sweet post. I love all those pictures of how he has grown. I can't believe how quickly he has grown. I hope he's feeling better. That's scary. What a bummer of a way to spend your birthday, I don't care how old you are! Now go take a nap!