March 26, 2009

Hospital Stay

The day after we got home (Weds.) from the E.R. Ethan still didn't feel much better. I called the nurses station at the hospital and the male nurse that I talked to was very patronizing. He basically called me a neurotic mother and told me of course my son was sick and that there was nothing they could do for us at the hospital. I of course broke down crying on the phone and got a little ticked off at the guy. As the mom I knew that something was not right. He was so limp and listless.
After a good nap he had a little more energy and seemed to be holding down a little food - so we thought he was on his way up. We even gave him his birthday bear...which he loved!

Anyway, a couple of hours later he was so sick again, so we decided to bring him back to the E.R. This time we got a great doctor that actually was concerned and paid attention to us. They found out he was really dehydrated and decided to admit him to the hospital. He's been on an IV since last night. This evening he has been able to keep down a little food and has more energy to play. The highlight for us was when he pulled himself up to the standing position in his industrial strength zoo cage (also known as his crib). That was the first time we have seen him stand in days!



We've been holding up pretty well. We are a little exhausted, and Ethan is scared to death of any person that comes into the room with medical equipment (he's been poked too many times.)We are really grateful for good hospitals, doctors, and nurses. I can't imagine living in pioneer times without access to healthcare. We are just happy he is starting to feel a little better. We've missed his mischief and fun little antics.

We're not sure when we are going home yet...but maybe tomorrow morning!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Ooh, that is so sad. I hate lame doctors. That is so frustrating. I'm sure you guys are extremely exhausted. You probably won't even realize until you get home for good! I hope the poor little guy gets better. I love that birthday bear and Sara would really love it!