This year I am on the board for our spouses's club at school - I thought with all of us helping out (even on our student loan budgets) we could sponsor a family for Christmas. Through the Big Brothers Big Sisters club I found a family living on a very small income that has no extra money at all for Christmas gifts. Members of our club donated money and gifts from their wishlist for our little family. It has been a lot of fun and a lot of work pulling this project together.
This week we were supposed to meet to gather all of the gifts and get them ready to go...unfortunately the "Blizzard 09" blew in and our meeting was canceled...so this week has been a lot of scrambling for me to gather all of the gifts that were due today! Thanks to Clark we got everything right in the nick of time!
Hauling it out to the car!
It was so fun to organize everything last night and put all of the gifts out around our tree, I'm so excited for the kids on Christmas morning!
Even though there have been a few moments of stress, and lots of time in the carseat for Ethan...today dropping the stuff off made it all worth it. There were many families that were adopted and all the donations were due today. The entire lobby was filled with gifts - toys, bikes, clothes, etc. It was awesome to see the spirit of Christmas in action! As I drove away listening to "Oh Holy Night," on Lite 104.1 I was a little teary. I was just so filled with gratitude for all the blessings in my life, and filled with joy being able to help someone in need. I have learned that anytime I am serving others I get more out of it than the person being served.
"The joy of brightening other lives, bearing each others' burdens, easing other's loads and supplanting empty hearts and lives with generous gifts becomes for us the magic of Christmas." ~ W. C. Jones
1 comment:
What a nice post!
Post a Comment