November 3, 2011

30 in Seattle

1 week ago I left my roaring 20's and turned 30!!! The boys and my mom spoiled me with a yummy dinner, ice cream cake and presents.
Caden enjoyed the cake...

A LOT!!!


The night after my official birthday Clark took me on a birthday date. We went to the top of the Space Needle to watch the sunset.

It was a beautiful clear day and we loved watching the colors in the sky change and the lights come on in the city.

After the Space Needle our friends Tom and Debbie picked us up and took us to Serious Pie for some creative pizza, and some serious costume watching- it was Halloween weekend.
After dinner our real adventure started, I had a Groupon for 4 pints of ice cream from Full Tilt Ice Cream in the White Center neighborhood of Seattle. Not knowing anything about the layout of the city I thought it was a great deal. As we got closer Debbie said, "I don't think I've ever been in this part of town." Tom replied, "Nope, and if you knew where we are you would never have thought you would be here at night." As the GPS announced that we had found our location I was a little shocked by the bars, bars on windows, and other shady shops that won't be named. The sidewalks were crowded with scary people (and not because they were wearing Halloween costumes). After making sure we locked the car door tight we quickly maneuvered down the sidewalk and entered the lime green walled, dirty floored establishment.
We noticed the crazy flavors like ube (made from a yam), and Chocolate Peanut Butter (may contain meat)...but a sign on the wall told us that if we had the Groupon we could only get Salted Carmel, Mint Chocolate, or Absinthe. I asked the worker (who looked a lot like a character from Lord of the Rings) what Absinthe is. I may be 30 but I am still naive to drug talk, so after some very interesting charades filled with drug innuendo I finally figured out I definitely did not want to order Absinthe.
We ordered 3 mints, and 1 carmel...the guy came back after checking the freezer and said, we only have 1 mint. So we ordered 1 mint and 3 carmels...the guy leaves again and comes back to say there are only 2 carmels. He didn't notice that the first time?! About this point I noticed the Vegan/Gluten Free cookies sitting in a jar on the counter that looked an awful lot like dog droppings and decided it was time to go! We laughed the rest of the night about our ice cream adventure.
The worst part is that I already have a reputation with my friends and family for planning up these big activities that never quite turn out like I plan, (i.e. Old Country Buffet in Omaha, the Halloween Cruise in Provo, the Ostrich Races in Altoona) I will never live this one down!

We enjoyed a few bites of our ice cream on Alki Beach enjoying the beautiful view of the Seattle skyline. It was such a perfect date to celebrate 30 years!


During my 20's I fell in love, got married, had two babies, lived in Romania 18 months as a missionary, graduated from college, taught 5th grade, finally got a sister (5 sister-in-laws), drove two different Buicks, made wonderful friends, won a bag of Tootsie Pops in a dance contest, never got pulled over by a policeman, para sailed, walked across campus with my skirt tucked into my nylons all while carrying a boom box, bag pack and parachute!
It was quite a decade, can't wait to see what my 30's have in store for me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Happy Birthday! I have aloso never heard of that neighborhood in Seattle. Scary!

Bryce and Jessica said...

Oh Stephanie, I died laughing at your ice cream adventure! Remember the closed dairy queen in omaha that the gps found?! I miss all those fun moments!