November 21, 2011

One in Five Million

I always knew my Caden was one in a million...but now we know he is really one in five million. We just got back the bone marrow test results and found out he does NOT have leukemia. He actually has a condition called Transient Erythroblastopenia of Childhood (TEC). It is rare (one website said 1 in 5 million). The doctor basically described it to me as his immune system attacked his bone marrow, so temporarily his bone marrow is not producing new cells. We don't know the exact cause or when it will resolve...but eventually it should resolve itself. We will just keep watching his blood levels and possibly treat him with future blood transfusions depending on when his bone marrow decides to start working again.
What a relief! That phone call literally took a weight off my shoulders. I've been trying to be so tough and not let myself run away with worry, but after that phone call all the built up emotion came out. I can't really put it in words but I am so thankful to Heavenly Father who answered our prayers, and so thankful He sent us Caden. I am so grateful for medicine and hospitals. I would have lost both of my boys to crazy little illnesses if it wasn't for modern medicine.

And Caden is just being his normal rambunctiously sweet self. We don't know what was in that blood transfusion...but he's been running faster, climber higher and making bigger messes than ever before! I LOVE IT!

He found Grammy's bread pans and thought they made perfect slippers!

He also thought this decorative chair should be his special seat.

Woo-hoo! I have so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving week!

6 comments:

Ali said...

This is Alison Gorczyca (now Johnson) and at risk of looking like a blog stalker, I just wanted to say that I am so thankful that your little man is OK. I live in Boise now and drive past your folks' house on the way to work every day and have thought of you each day since your last post. On another note, it has been nice to see you doing so well and to follow your travels across the country - hope you don't think I am too stalkerish. :)

Momma Megan said...

Praise the Lord! Rejoicing with you & so thankful Caden is doing so well!

heathermommy said...

Oh my gosh!! I am so glad.

Scott and Danielle said...

What a relief. I've been thinking about you guys! So glad for mommy intuition to get him checked out. Hugs!

Pegela said...

We always knew Caden was one in five million. Now we've got the blood test to prove it. Glad the transfusion helped.

Megan Bleazard said...

Oh MY. Poor little guy!! That is a huge relief. We have been thinking about you guys. I miss you. We will keep you all in our prayers.