November 5, 2011

Our Travels to Destination F: Boise

Last Sunday we hit the road again!

This month is a little different because we left Clark in Seattle! He will be spending the month actually living in the hospital while the boys and I stay in Boise with my parents. It was hard to say good-bye! Our car was so loaded the boys couldn't see each other in the back seat.


I was grateful to have my mom with me to make the 8 hour drive back to Idaho. The trip went great except for about 25 miles. As we drove through Pendleton, OR my mom suggested I stop and get gas. I looked at the little digital gauge and it said we had 55 miles to empty and we only had 46 miles to LaGrande, OR where we were planning to meet my Dad (he was on a business trip traveling from Boise to Washington). I figured there would be somewhere to stop along the way in case we got into trouble...I thought wrong.

There was nothing in between the 2 towns except a horrible storm, a mountain pass, winding canyon roads, and a dark night. The Jeep was hydro-planing and I was just trying to keep the car on the road. About 25 miles out of town the gas light came on, about 13 miles out of town the digital gauge said we were 0 miles to empty! Of course at this same time Ethan started crying because he desperately needed to go potty. Caden decided he was ready for a pit stop and was screaming. My mom informed me we had no cell service. Talk about a stressful moment or two!

Miraculously the car ran on no gas until we arrived at the Shell station, I have never been so happy to see a glowing yellow sea shell. I jumped out of the car, grabbed Ethan and almost plowed into the nice lady coming to pump our gas (in Oregon you can't pump your own gas), but we made it to the bathroom. When I saw myself in the mirror I was shaking and my neck was an unbelievable shade of bright red.

But we made it!!! We are grateful for our safe travels this year of crazy moving, and so grateful to spend time with my parents in November.

No comments: