May 21, 2012

End of An Era

This weekend Clark has been able to go fishing, sleep outside in a tent with Ethan, and relax with nothing to worry about!  Friday was his last official day of this crazy 4th year of medical school.  Yahoo!

I just calculated that we traveled 5,336 miles to move us 9 times...it is great to be at this end of this year.  Tonight I took a picture of all the library cards I collected and used since last May.  All of these cards represent different places and wonderful memories, and the challenge of our gypsy lifestyle from the past year!    

I can't even begin to summarize this year...what a challenge!  The first move was the hardest for me, I was so lonely and so sad to have left our home and our friends in Iowa.  I still don't know how we fit all of our stuff in our 2 cars.  The subsequent moves each got easier, I got used to the transient lifestyle, no furniture, and the lack of a social life.  But even with the challenges I wouldn't do it any differently.

It was a wonderful blessing to get to be with family in Boise, Durango and Albuquerque.  It was an adventure to get to see so many beautiful landscapes as we drove across the country.  It was fun to get to experience new things and places.  We saw many miracles- with Caden's health, with housing, with safe travels.  And most of all I'm grateful that we were able to stay together as a family.  Our life didn't stop this year, it was just different.  We have a year full of memories that I will always cherish...and I'm grateful for just one more move coming up an a permanent address for at least the next 3 years! 

1 comment:

Lucy said...

Whit woo! Congratulations! You are a super champ and I’m so proud of you for holding it all together this year. Enjoy this last little bit of vacation!