March 26, 2014

Secret Agent Party for a REAL Secret Agent

I think Ethan has been planning his secret agent birthday party since about the day after his last birthday.  It makes sense since he has been telling us he is a "real" secret agent for the last few years.  I really do love planning parties for my boys and making their days special; thank goodness for the party planning class I took at college.  However, as the big day got closer I realized that my idea of the party was very different from his, he basically wanted a scene from Mission Impossible complete with mysteries to solve, bad guys chasing the kids down, ziplines to go from house to house...you know the usual birthday party fare.  So we had to make a few compromises...and judging from the reaction of the agents, especially head agent Ethan, Special Mission Age 6 was a success!  

The morning started pretty well with a couple of birthday presents!

Then we met the birthday boy at the school cafeteria for lunch!

I always have fun making cakes for my boys, this year agent P was made from Rice Krispy treats and my first time using fondant.  



After school it was time to party!

When the agents arrived to headquarters they all received their disguises of hats, sunglasses and magnifying glasses.  Then they all had to have a finger scan on the I-pad to ensure that they were real agents.  The app after doing the finger scan also told the kids what mood they were in, and they loved it.  Especially when it said Ethan's mood was "in love."  Later he told us, "it probably said that because I was sitting next to Stella," then he blushed and said, "did I say that out loud?"

Next each agent got to pick 2 papers from the bowls, these would become their secret agent names for the day.  We had some fun ones like "Speedy Tortilla," "Shiny Nacho," "Magical Raccoon," and "Fearless Ninja."  The kids got to write their agent names on name tags and put a finger print on it for verification.


The kids used their magnifying glasses to find pictures in the I-Spy books while we waited for more guests to arrive.
Agent Quinn Grin wanted in on the action.


Once the agents were verified they were informed they were called to the headquarters because they were the best agents in the business and it was time to do some training so they would be ready for a secret mission.  They all have great imaginations at this age, and were so into all of this!  They took their jobs very seriously!


The first part of the training included some target shooting stations.



Then it was time to clear the laser maze!

They had 3 minutes to disassemble 30 bombs and clean up all the evidence.
Little Caden was so into it, I caught him trying to pop the balloon with his teeth, luckily I stopped him before it burst in his mouth...but you can see by the determination on his face he was willing to do anything to make that 3 minute mark.
Our last game was to practice our sneaking skills.
After all the training the agents were ready for their first mission to rescue the birthday loot.
Much to their surprise, the bandit himself was there trying to thwart the mission.  Oh my, they shrieked and freaked out when they saw the bandit!  It put a whole new twist on the party.  The bandit was a little much for the 3 year old guest, at one point Caden ran into the living room and yelled, "I hate this party."



The bandit finally surrendered and they were able to rescue the birthday loot!

For dinner the birthday boy requested a restaurant where they would sing to him.  Texas Roadhouse even had him sit on a saddle.  Yee-haw!
We ended the night with a few more presents and the new 6 year old proclaiming, "this was the best day ever!"
Once we got him to bed, I about collapsed, but it was sure a fun day!  It was so fun to have my mom here!  This was the first time she ever got to celebrate with us on Ethan's birthday!  I couldn't have done it without all of her help!
Just getting Quinn dolled up for the party.
And don't worry, he's already scheming for next year's big bash!

3 comments:

Ali said...

WOW! You are like the birthday supermom. That party looks incredible!

LauriAnn said...

Holy cow. I think you could go pro at this!

Erica said...

What a fun party! No wonder you were tired after that.