April 1, 2011

Memoirs of an April Fool's Fool

This morning when I realized it was April 1st I tried hard to think of a good prank to play on Clark. I'm still needing to get back at him for the time he told me he was in a car accident on April Fool's Day (I was home with a brand new 6 day old Ethan at the time and quite hormonal)! I didn't come up with anything, I guess I'm just not much of a prankster. The only times I remember really being involved in an April Fool's joke left me looking like the fool.

When I was little, maybe 4 or 5, we lived in Duchesne, Utah right across the street from my grandparents. I remember playing over at my grandparent's house on an April Fool's Day. My aunt, who was in town visiting at the time, and my grandma decided to play an April Fool's joke on my mom. They prepped me well with what to say and then sent me home to tell my mom that my younger brother Weston had fallen off the roof (this was entirely possible since we used to jump from the roof onto the trampoline all the time). I remember going over and telling my mom that Weston had fallen off the roof, she saw right through me and asked if I was lying. I tried to put the blame back on the adults who made me do it, but still got a lecture about never lying about things like that. It obviously had an impact on me because I remember that lecture. I felt bad...and then my April Fool's Day got worse.

Later that day back at my grandma's house my Aunt Lucille made strawberry shortcake. I was just sitting up to the table to eat mine when my aunt started screaming thinking she had seen a mouse in the kitchen. Come to find out my uncle had a fake mouse he had hidden in the kitchen where she would find it. Well all of the screaming startled me so much I completely forgot my strawberry shortcake and jumped up on the table sitting right on top of my plate!



I didn't know what to do so I just sat there hoping no one would notice. Well they definitely did, and apparently seeing me in my little turquoise Fluppy Dog sweatsuit with the rear end covered in whipped cream and strawberries was a hilarious sight. For me though it was humiliating.



(A Fluppy Dog, Do you remember these guys?)


When I was about 11 or 12 I found myself in Duchesne again on April Fool's Day. A few of my cousins and I schemed all day and were so excited when we came up with the perfect joke to play on Grandma P. A new little pizza joint had just opened in town and we decided to take advantage of it. We walked downtown, found a pay phone, and in my best pizza worker voice I called Grandma and told her that in honor of the grand opening celebration she had won a free pizza that she could come pick up later that afternoon. I think we were then planning on going home and telling her, "April Fool's, no pizza, ha ha," but none of us were expecting Grandma's reaction. She was so excited about winning, she even said, "I've never won anything in my life this is great." After hanging up the phone we laughed for a few minutes, and then all of us felt terrible. We ended up pooling our money together to buy a pizza for Grandma.



I'm just not good at April Fool's Day.


But Caden is pretty good at it. In this little video he could convince anyone that his Fur Real Pet is a real puppy.




I hope you all had a good April 1st!

1 comment:

MollyJae said...

Oh Stephanie, I just read your stories to my family. We all had a good laugh. We love the pizza for Grandma story. You are a good fool.