May 3, 2010

Lilacs 2010

Last year on Mother's Day we went to Ewing Park to the lilac arboretum (35 acres, and 1,200 lilac trees)! It is beautiful when it is in bloom. I really wanted to go for Mother's Day again this year to keep up the tradition, but since April has been like summer here in Des Moines everything is blooming early, so we decided to go yesterday!

It was good that we did, because a lot of the blossoms were already gone. We got there right after a big rain storm and it was gorgeous and smelled so good!

We had a yummy picnic with our friends and strolled through the lilacs. Well, most people strolled...Ethan RAN! Clark kept up with him and I waddled along behind.

(This was my view the entire time, Ethan on the run and Clark in tow.)

(Once in a while I could get Ethan to stop and smell the purple flowers, and he would say, "mmmm, yummy!")

A family from church happened to be there the same time as us. Ethan spotted them from across the park, Dawn Larsen is his nursery leader, and their little girl Evelyn is in his nursery class. They were taking a family picture in a tree and Evelyn kept saying, "my friend is coming and he will sit by me," she saw Ethan from clear across the park and knew who he was. He was so excited to see Dawn and to jump up in the tree with his friend.

Then he fell in a muddy marsh.


(But being covered in mud didn't slow him down!)

(He loves Shannon and trying to make her laugh!)

(Ethan with his best buddy)

(Ethan last year at the lilacs! It is crazy how much he has grown! I also just realized he is wearing the same T-shirt this year that he wore last year, apparently we get a lot of use out of BYU shirts. It's also funny to me that both years he really needs a haircut too!)

Our Growing Family! I have a lot to be thankful for this Mother's Day!

4 comments:

Jeff and Tammy Peterson said...

Love the picts! Thanks for sharing them! You just continue to let Clark do all the running . . . for the next 21 days!

Kelly said...

That Ethan is so cute. A handful I'm sure. Had to pass the snake spot today. I was in panic mode already and then the jogger wheel caught a bush and made a noise and I went into full flight or fight response! Ridiculous behavior for sure!

Brienne said...

Thanks (about the photo blog)!!! Looks like you guys are doing great! I always forget to check your blog - I'll be better!!!

MollyJae said...

How beautiful that park is. I'm so glad you are having a nice spring after a cold winter. You're family looks happy.